When you’re involved in an auto accident, it’s always wise to think about hiring a qualified personal injury lawyer to represent you. An experienced lawyer at walthew.com can help you obtain a much better settlement for your accident claim than if you tried to go it alone. He’ll know when to negotiate, or if a settlement is too small to merit a lawsuit. And best of all, a lawyer knows the insurance industry, how it works and what regulations govern it.
Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
- There are many benefits to hiring a personal injury lawyer when you have been injured in a traffic accident. For instance, your first instinct may be to simply pay your own medical bills and lost wages without considering the possible benefits from a personal injury lawyer. A lawyer, whose work you admire, can offer professional and objective advice on how to handle your case. He can advise you whether or not to file a personal injury claim and, if so, what type of claim. A lawyer can also make sure that your insurance company agrees to your settlement, which will help you avoid paying a large chunk of money out of pocket. Finally, a good personal injury lawyer can get you the most extensive personal injury settlement possible because he has knowledge of the laws that govern personal injury cases in your state.
- But although the benefits of hiring a lawyer are clear, there are also some disadvantages to doing so. Hiring a personal injury lawyer means that you must spend a considerable amount of money. Hiring a lawyer is often much more expensive than going to a trial without a lawyer, because a lawyer’s hourly rates are usually higher. In addition, most lawyers charge a retainer, which can run into several hundred dollars, although you can negotiate a payment plan with your lawyer to pay him over time instead of all at once.
- The biggest disadvantage of a personal injury attorney is that most personal injury cases drag on for months and even years. Without the assistance of an experienced lawyer, victims drag their feet while the courts settle suits against them. During this time, many victims feel less stress and assume they are settled when the case is finally resolved. Others, who have to bear the expenses of a personal injury attorney and who don’t have the time to go to court or whose lawyer doesn’t take their case, may give up in frustration. This is why it’s essential to choose carefully.
- Another disadvantage of hiring a personal injury law lawyer is that most law firms are expensive. Law is expensive! Even though we are guaranteed a certain level of legal protection in our constitution and laws, we still have to pay for the services of these highly skilled professionals. Because most personal injury law cases drag on for months or even years, the costs of hiring an attorney can quickly add up. If the lawyer’s hourly rates are much higher than your budget can afford to pay, you may end up having to hire an attorney who charges way above what you reasonably can afford.
- Lastly, while hiring a personal injury law lawyer is a beneficial consideration, you shouldn’t take any chances when it comes to your personal safety. Lawsuits often result from incidents that are not your fault, so be sure to get any potential lawsuits checked out beforehand. It is also wise to know your state’s statute of limitations for filing a claim. You don’t want to wait too long before you can legally seek compensation.